Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Baked Cod & Chickpeas


This recipe was one I threw together last Tuesday when I just wanted something quick, warm and healthy! I had gotten absolutely drenched walking home after a very long day of work and I was so tempted to just pick up the phone and call a takeaway. Instead I threw this together and the result was so delicious I will be absolutely be making this again. 

Serves: 4
Propoints per Serving: 6 propoints
Ingredients:
4 Cod fillets - roughly 120g each
1 can chickpeas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1tbsp tomato purree
1 red pepper
1 onion
4 cloves garlic crushed
handful of button mushrooms
2 tsp hot paprika
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Chop the onions and pepper and slice the mushrooms. Heat the oil over a medium head and fry the onions until soft. Add the peppers and garlic, turn down the heat, cover and cook until the peppers are soft stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. 


Add the chickpeas, cayenne and paprika and cook for a further 2 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes before seasoning to taste. 

Transfer to a deep oven dish. Season the cod with salt and pepper and place in the sauce, submerging it a bit so only the top is visible. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cod is cooked through and serve. 

I had this with some roasted fennel and it was more than enough for dinner, but my boyfriend had a baked potato with it. Super midweek dinner that can be thrown together and tastes fantastic, and is filling and healthy friendly! 

1 comment:

  1. I want to start using chickpeas a lot more this year. It's something that tastes good, is filling but I always forget about them!

    ReplyDelete