Saturday, August 12, 2017

Fish Taco's





I know I have been awful at posting recipes. I have been collecting them in my little recipe book for months but things have been so manic for me, I just haven't got myself together to post them. I am finally back into the rhythm of posting my weeklies meal plans I can get back to posting some recipes.


The first one is one I first made back in May and it was so tasty that I can't believe I don't make this all the time. Cornflakes are one of my favourite coatings for baked protein. It makes for an incredibly crisp and golden finish and will take on the flavour of whatever you want.

Pickled cabbage & spicy salsa are the perfect accompaniments to this, but if you have some extra SmartPoints going then some greek yoghurt and avocado really push this over the edge. I used the Old El Paso stand and stuff taco's because they are really good value for your SmartPoints and I was able to have 3 filled with toppings for just 9 SmartPoints. Though you could use any small soft tortillas once you adjust the SP accordingly.

Serves: 2
SmartPoints per serving: 9
SmartPoints on NoCount: 8
Ingredients:
250g cod or haddock
35g cornflakes
1 egg white
1 tsp hot paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
6 stand & stuff soft tacos
half head of red cabbage
juice of 1.5 limes
1tbsp salt
1tsp sweetner
black pepper
12 cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion
1 red chilli
1 large garlic clove crushed
handful of fresh coriander


The first thing you need to do is make your pickled cabbage, ideally this needs to sit in the fridge overnight to let the juice start to breakdown the cabbage, but a few hours should just about do it if you are short on time. Slice the cabbage thinly (i used a food processor for this to get even slices) and mix with the lime juice, salt, sweetener and some black pepper. Make sure to mix really well then cover and refrigerate.

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Crush the cornflakes finely and mix with the paprika, cumin & coriander. Whisk up the egg white until it is slightly fluffy. Season the fish and cut it into bite sized pieces. Coat with the egg white and cornflake mixture and then transfer to a baking tray sprayed with a little spray oil. Cook in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden and crispy turning halfway.

While the fish is cooking, make the salsa. Put all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until you have your preferred consistency. I like mine to be quite well blended but still to have some texture. Season to taste.

Prepare the tacos according to the pack instructions and serve, allowing everyone to build their own tacos. You can serve with some jalapenos, radish, fresh coriander, lime juice, hot sauce, greek yogurt and avocado, making sure to add the extra SmartPoints where applicable.


No comments:

Post a Comment