Thursday, March 10, 2016

Chicken Noodle Soup



For me the best soups are the ones that are more like a meal than a soup. I like the chunky soups in a light broth, rather than a blended totally smooth but thick types. I find with the blended versions they don't really fill me up as much and by the time I get to the end of the bowl I'm pretty bored. 


Chicken Noodle has always been one of my favourites and I've been playing around with this recipe in my head. I messed up a little on my first attempt with the pasta and used shapes that were far too big. All the flavours are there its just hard to get a good spoonful with a bit of everything. Next time I make this I'll either break up some spaghetti or use the mini shells.

The soup could not be easier to make and will make enough for 5 lunches, perfect for your week at work! It's pretty quick and easy to make and really is very tasty. You could vary the vegetables in this but I really love the combination or carrot and celery. I added some chilli flakes, but you can either leave them out or add more depending on your preference for the spicy.

Serves: 5
Smartpoints per Serving: 5sp
Free on Smartpoints if you use brown pasta.
Ingredients:
2 part boned chicken breasts
3 large carrots chopped
3-4 celery sticks chopped
1 1/2 green peppers chopped
1 onion chopped
1/2 head of garlic
small bunch of parsley
small bunch of coriander
3 bay leaves
1 chicken stock pot
3 pints water
1tbsp olive oil
150g pasta, any shape you like
Chilli flakes to taste (optional)
Salt & Pepper

Heat the oil in a large pot and gently fry the onion, carrot, celery & green pepper for 5-7 minutes until soft. 

Remove all skin and visible fat  from the chicken and place on top of the veg. 

Tie the herbs into a bundle and place in the pot. Keeping the garlic all together, carefully slice the top off all cloves and also place in the pot. Add 3 pints cold water and the stock pot and bring to a simmer. 

Cook for around 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked & remove from the pan. Stir through the pasta and continue to simmer. 

Shred the chicken and add back to your soup and season well to taste. If using add the chilli flakes. 

Continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked. If you are keeping this to use throughout a few days, you want the pasta to be quite al dente as it will continue to cook as the liquid cools and you don't want it over cooked. 

Remove the garlic and press the softened garlic from the skin. Mash into a paste and stir through the soup. 
Remove the bundle of herbs, check again for seasoning and serve! 





No comments:

Post a Comment