Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Buffalo Turkey Meatballs!



Back at the start of the year I discovered Frank's Hot Sauce (I know, what took me so long) and it has been a regular addition to my lunches ever since. The buffalo version is my favourite as I really like the slightly tangy/sweet flavour too it. And lets be honest, who doesn't love a nice big bowl of buffalo wings, and the sauce gives just a little taste of that! 


I've also been loving turkey mince since the new year, it is just so lean and versatile. It makes a nice change from beef mine which seems to be the main ingredient to a lot of my go to meals. Its so easy to sub in the turkey mince, particularly on a night when you may be short a few smartpoints. 

I wanted something different and something that felt like a bit of a treat so I decided to have a bit of an experiment with my much loved buffalo sauce and I have to say I was impressed. This was a great midweek dinner and felt like a real treat. It was also a huge portion and was left absolutely stuffed after which is always a plus. I made a couple of dipping sauces to go along side this, my light version of a blue cheese dip and a spicy chipotle hot sauce. The meatballs work out at 8 smartpoints for the whole recipe and the sauces are 2 smartpoints each. You can get 2-4 servings out of this depending on how hungry you are, but either way its a bargain dinner! 

Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
Servings: 2-4
Smartpoints per serving: 2sp if serving 4, 4sp if serving 2
Smartpoints on No Count: 1sp for all servings
Ingredients:
400g Turkey Mince
50ml Franks Buffalo Hot Sauce
30g Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 tbsp dried parsley
1tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
Tesco Rapeseed Spray oil (12 sprays)
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 200C. Mix all the ingredients really well. The longer you mix this the better the flavours will be. 

Divide the mixture into large meatballs. I knew I was serving 2 people so I got 10 meatballs out of the recipe but you can make bigger/smaller depending on serving size required (you need the number of meatballs divisible by the amount of servings).

Line a baking tray with parchment and spray with the oil (6 sprays). Place the meatballs on the tray and spray again before cooking in the oven for 15-25 minutes until cooked through (depending on the size of your meatballs). While these are cooking you can make your sauces. 

Light Blue Cheese Dip
Smartpoints: 2sp for whole recipe
Smartpoints on No Count: 1sp for whole recipe
Ingredients:
2 laughing cow blue cheese triangles
50g 0% fat greek yoghurt
0.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
0.5 tbsp extra light mayo
1 tsp dried parsely
salt & pepper
1-2 tbsp water

Mash the laughing cow triangles into a paste and mix with the yoghurt, vinegar, mayo and parsley. Add a little water if needed to thin it out and season to taste. Serve along side the meatballs or anything else. It would be great on a burger, turkey or otherwise, or with some veggie crudites!!


Chipotle Hot Sauce
Smartpoints: 2sp for whole recipe
Smartpoints on No Count: 1sp for whole recipe
Ingredients:
1 tbsp Chipotle paste
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp tomato ketchup
0.5 tsp sweetner
30-50ml water

Put the paste and puree in a small pot over a medium heat and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Add the water, ketchup and sweetner and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, adding more water if necessary. You want quite a runny sauce but just thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.  Serve hot.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, was going to make turkey meatloaf for Saturday but going to do this instead now, have Frank's hot wings sauce instead of buffalo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it tastes with the hot wings sauce, may have to try that next myself!

      Delete