Monday, December 16, 2013

Slim Tuna Pasta Bake!




I'm sure you have all seen this new product in the shops lately in a few different packages and under a few different names. They all have slightly different nutritional info, some working out at 0pp per serving and some as 1pp. I have used them before but had thought I preferred the courgette spaghetti that I tried a few months ago. The problem with the courgette spaghetti so you can't use it for a pasta bake and I LOVE a pasta bake.


I was really craving pasta bake last week but I had been very indulgent for lunch time and I was low on propoints for my dinner. I did think about just saying 'sod it' and making a really big creamy cheesy pasta and getting garlic bread to go along and just throw the tracking out the window but when I was in the supermarket I just happened to spot these and my resolve came back and I thought I would try it with them and see what happened. 


I have to say it worked, the longer cooking time meant the pasta had time to soak up more of the sauce giving it more flavour and by the time I was finished I was stuffed!! The recipe is really easy. The sauce recipe makes enough for 2 pasta bakes, but I used real pasta for my boyfriends one so the rest of the recipe was just for mine! 

Serves: 1
Propoints Per Serving: 5pp

Sauce: (serves 2)
1 tin plum tomatoes
1tbsp tomato purree
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 yellow pepper
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
1tbsp creme fraiche
1 large tin tuna
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp artificial sweetener

Pasta Bake:
1 pack slim pasta
25g linessa grated cheese (niptuck has a review here)
5g grated parmesan cheese


Preheat your oven to 200C and place the pepper on a baking tray. Cook until the outside is blackened the flesh is soft. Remove and put in a zip lock bag somewhere cold while you make the rest of the sauce.

Fry the onion and garlic over a low/medium heat until soft and translucent. Add plum tomatoes (leave the juice in the can) and mash a bit with the back of the spoon to break up. Stir through the tomato puree and pour in a little bit of the juice until you have the consistency you want (I don't like it too watery so I usually only add about half of it. Simmer for this for 15-20 minutes and then add the oregano, sweetener, salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. 

Take the pepper out of the bag, peel and remove the stalk and seeds. Roughly chop and add to the tomato sauce. Blend until smooth using a stick blender or adding to a food processor. Stir through the creme fraiche and the tuna. 

Add half the sauce to the well rinsed slim pasta and mix well. Add to an overproof dish and cover with the grated cheese. Cook in the preheated over for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes and then serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment