Monday, November 19, 2012

Bacon & Spinach Pasta Bake



I've been craving carbs like mad this week! Really in the mood for pasta and also needed something quick and easy that would do for two nights dinner. I found this gem in one of the old WW magazines - no idea which one as I had pulled out the page and put it in a folder. I have to say this really hit the spot and it was a really decent sized portion. It looked so good I forgot to take a picture before I ate it so I took a picture of the leftovers.


Servings: 4
Propoints: 9
Ingredients:

250g Pasta shells (conchiglie)
200g smoked bacon medallions sliced
1 large onion finely chopped
250g button mushrooms sliced
1 garlic clove crushed
1.5 tsp dried oregano
Zest of 1 lemon
500g finely chopped fresh tomatoes or passata
1tsp sugar
200g spinach
125g light mozzerella sliced

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/ 190C/ Fan 170C.
Cook the pasta for a few minutes less than the instructions on the packet and drain.
Mist a large pan with low fat cooking spray and fry the bacon and onion for 5-6 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 more minutes.
Stir in the garlic, oregano, lemon zest, tomatoes, sugar and season. Simmer for 5 minutes, adding the spinach for the last 2 minutes.
Stir in the pasta and spoon into a large baking dish. Scatter with the mozzerella and bake for 10-15 minutes.


I only had half a lemon, so could only use that much zest - and to be honest it was nicely lemony. It was subtle but you could taste it. I would be worried using the zest of a whole lemon may be over powering, but I haven't tried it. All in all I would recommend this for an easy midweek meal. Great for 2 and have leftovers for the next day though also I would imagine this would be a hit with kids for a family dinner!! Let me know what you think if you try it! 

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe this is Weight Watchers, with the bacon and what not! Looks lush though x

    ReplyDelete