Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Week 3 Training - Done!!





When I decided to start my early morning runs, I honestly never thought I'd be telling you over 3 weeks later I am still up every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:45am and I am loving it. The first 5 minutes out of bed is absolute killer but it is more than worth it!


Run Keeper keeps throwing all kinds of Personal Bests at me (none for time yet but I will get there) and I have a few stats that I have racked up!


  • Since February 25th I have run 73km.
  • I have been out running 13 times totally 8hrs 2 minutes running time
  • My average pace is 6.35 min/km
  • My elevation climbed is 544 meters
  • I have burned 4,930 calories (taking that with a big pinch of salt as it is estimated by runkeeper)

The runs are starting to get a little more intense and the training program will see me run as far as 16km before I'm done.  I have never completed more than 10km running so the idea of doing over 50% more than that is very daunting, but I am going to go with it and do my very best. The long runs aren't about getting a good time, its about keeping a steady pace and getting your stamina up. During the week I will be a bit more focused on my timings with a few time interval run based on speed rather than distance!

I also did my first organised run since the Movember 10k in Marlay Park on Saturday. It was a free 5k run and the week myself and my friends decided to give it a go also happened to coincide with the end of the Irish Times Get Running campaign and Marlay was one of the locations where people tried out their first 5k as part of the campaign so it was packed. I was there with some of the same friends as the Movember run and I was a little nervous if I'm being honest. Saturday is the day I find running toughest and this would be no different! I got through it, not in a great time but I didn't walk or stop at any point and I even got my couple of sprint intervals in towards the end (slower than my usual sprints).  For anyone interested in taking part in running events check out www.parkrun.ie . They organise free running events all around the country and its absolutely fantastic. 

I am now seriously thinking of signing up for the Great Ireland Run in the Phoenix Park on April 6th. My same group of friends are taking part and my training plan has me set for an 11.1k run that day anyway. If I do take part I will just be thinking of it as another run, no pressure for time or to finish in a certain place. It is just nice to take part in these things! 

The scales still aren't moving and I am conscious that I need to eat more now I am training. I just need to find the balance and right now the scales are not my top priority. I will be trying a few new recipes and products to keep my energy levels up in the best way and I'll share what I find with you all. The bank holiday threw my organisation off a bit, but I will catch up with it! 

8 comments:

  1. Great job on the running! I struggle to get up each morning and make it to a work out so I know it is tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It gets easier every time, but I am waiting for the morning when my body refuses to cooperate!

      Delete
  2. Great job getting out of bed and getting it done! I hated getting up early to run but after a few times, I loved starting my day like that. Well worth rolling out of bed a few minutes early! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does set you up for the day! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! So proud of you! Keep it up! I look forward to reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Really hoping I can keep the pace up now!

      Delete
  4. I love it! You are doing really great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks John, you are definitely my inspiration!

      Delete