Friday, June 21, 2013

Docklands 10k

The conditions last night were perfect for a 10k, but all day yesterday I was not in the mood for this run. I haven't been sleeping well this week and work has been really tough so all I wanted to do was go home to bed! In the end I was so happy that I went for it, not only because I felt great after (as you always do) but....I got a new personal best knocking a whole 4 minutes off my time from the Great Ireland Run.  My best time is now 61mins 16 seconds. I am so close to getting my time down to under an hour that I know I can do that this year.



The course was great, a nice flat run. It wasn't too overcrowded and was easy enough to navigate the crowds and get past people. The waves at the start all seemed to mingle into one after the elite runners had gone, but again there wasn't much crowding going on. My one slight grumble was that it was 2 laps of the 5k course so it was a little boring, but on the plus side for the second lap I knew what was coming which pushed me on a little bit!



I've been using Runkeeper to track my races and its great to look back and see the stats. It is also hugely motivating getting the updates every 5 minutes in my ear to keep me on track. My second kilometre was by far my best and I really let things slim at the 8km point. There was a water station here and I had to walk for about 50m to drink the water. I found it really hard to get going again after that and it was only when I got the next udate at 55mins and saw I only had 1km left to go that I really pushed things out. I think next time I would forego the water in favour of keeping my pace up. 





I am absolutely delighted with my progress here and am pushing on to the next 10k where I can hopefully get a sub 60min time, even if its just 59:95, I will be happy. First things first is find the next one to sign up for!!!

1 comment: