Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Butternut Squash & Feta Filo Pie


Continuing my quest for interesting vegetarian dinners once a week, I recalled a pie I had made for my vegetarian friend a couple of years ago when I had a small dinner party. The rest of us were having the Hairy Dieters Chicken Tangle Pie so I needed something I could use the filo pastry. While I couldn't remember the exact recipe I used, I did remember the star ingredients and so I started there. 


The result was a delicious, crispy and incredibly filling pie! The portion was so huge, you would definitely get away with just having half with a little more salad if you needed to save on smartpoints. I did feel a little defeated when I was 3/4 way through (I went back and finished it later on). 

The one thing I will say, the BNS needs to be roasted, so I did that part a day in advance so it was a little quicker to throw it together. I also used the Weight Watcher salad cheese, its quite difficult to find but it works out at only 4 smartpoints for the pack. Since I use 3/4s of the pack in this recipe, if you can't get the particular brand, replace it with 3 smartpoints worth of another low fat feta or increase the smartpoints accordingly. 

Serves: 2
Smartpoints per serving: 11 sp
Smartpoints on No Count: 11 sp
Ingredients:
1 small butternut squash
1 tsp hot paprika
1/2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
200g baby spinach, broken into florets
1 onion
Half a head of broccoli 
150g Weight Watchers salad cheese
4 sheets Filo Pastry
15g low fat butter

Peel and cube the Butternut Squash and mix with the paprika, sage, garlic powder & salt & pepper. Spray with oil and roast until soft in a preheated oven (200C).

Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes and then refresh under cold water to stop it cooking. 

Mist a non stick frying pan with oil (i use the Tesco real oil spray as opposed to the low cal oils). Fry the onion until soft and then add the cumin. Cook for a couple of minutes and then mix through the spinach until just wilted. 

In a bowl mix together the butternut squash, onion & spinach mixture, broccoli and cheese. Add the nutmeg, chilli flakes and season to taste. 

Melt the butter and lightly brush one sheet of filo with it, lay a second piece on top in a alternating direction and brush this lightly with the spread also. Place half the filling mixture in the centre and then bring the edges together and seal with a little more melted butter. Repeat with the other 2 sheets of filo and the rest of the filling. Bursh the top of both parcels with the remaining butter. 

Place on a baking tray lined with non stick parchment and cook in a preheated oven (190C) for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve immediately with a side salad. 




No comments:

Post a Comment